Our expertise base:
- CFD and Finite Element Analysis.
- Fire and evacuation analysis.
- Pedestrian dynamics.
- Engineering process analysis.
- Virtual prototyping and Optimisation.
- Reliability and Maintenance analysis.
- Particulate storage, handling and processing.
Partnering with Industry:
- Collaborative research projects (EU, EPSRC, DTi, TSB).
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships.
- Bespoke short courses.
- Evacuation simulation software.
- Fire simulation software.
- Multi-physics analysis software.
- Magneto-hydrodynamics software.
- Reliability and Maintenance Predictions.
- Computational Fire Engineering.
- Computer Aided Reliability.
- A 40 processor high performance parallel workstation cluster.
- A 20 node high performance window cluster.
- A 64 processor high performance Linux cluster.
- A 12 node GPU cluster.
- A large network of high performance desk top PC workstations supporting both scientific visualisation and computation.
The most extensive facility in the world for studying and testing the handling and flow of particulate materials, including:
- Comprehensive pilot plant for powder processing and bulk materials handling, extending to around 500m2, covering conveying, blending, size separation, flow in vessels, feeding, storage and transport.
- Industrial-scale equipment for handling and dosing from milligrams for pharmaceuticals to 150 tonnes/hour for large processing.
- Extensive characterisation facilities for all aspects of bulk solids behaviour, including standard, specialist and novel instruments to measure flow properties, segregation, degradation, particle attrition, caking, dustiness, size distribution, shapes and other physical properties.
Centre Awards & Achievements
- The Centre were finalists in the Guardian University Awards in the category of “Research Impact” for their work on Intelligent Active Dynamic Signage Systems as part of the EU FP7 project GETAWAY.
- Prof Chris Bailey elected as Vice-President of IEEE CPMT Society.
- Prof Pericleous joins the Scientific Advisory Board of the Helmholtz Research Alliance in Germany as an international member (Feb 2013).
- The Centre is awarded the IMechE Award for Innovation in Bulk Materials Handling for the development of the Powder Flowability Tester.
- Prof Mike Bradley is awarded the IMechE Bulk Materials Handling Award for services to the profession.
- The Centre invited to join the consortium writing the new IEEE standard (IEEE Std. P1856) for Prognostics and Health Management of Electronic Systems.
- Prof Chris Bailey elected as Chapter Chair for UK&RI IEEE CPMT and Reliability Societies.
- Prof Ed Galea invited to join the governing committee of the International Association of Fire Safety Science.
- A paper co-authored by Centre staff which appeared in the Aeronautical Journal 2010, won the Royal Aeronautical Society’s Bronze Award for 2010.
- The Centre were finalists in the THE 2011 AWARDS in the category of “Outstanding Engineering Research Team of the Year” for their work on Blending Wing Body (BWD) aircraft as part of the EU FP6 NACRE research project.
- The Centre is awarded the R&D magazine top 100 Award Winners (USA) for the development of the Powder Flowability Tester.
- Prof Chris Bailey elected to the Board of Governors of the IEEE CPMT Society.
- A PhD thesis authored by a Centre PhD student receives the best PhD Thesis award at the final annual meeting of the EU IMPRESS project for her research on the casting of TiAl turbine blades, Budapest June 2010.
- The Centre received the Times Higher Education Award in 2009 for Outstanding Engineering Research Team of the Year (sponsored by BAeSystems).
- A paper co-authored by Centre staff which appeared in the Journal of Fire Protection Engineering 2007, won the SFPE Jack Bono Engineering Communication Award.
- A paper co-authored by Centre staff won the 2008 RINA Samuel Baxter Prize for best paper on safety appearing in the International Journal of Maritime Engineering.
- The Centre in partnership with the Cutty Sark Trust won the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) Award for London.
- The Centre wins the London Development Agency (LDA) and ‘Connect’ Awards for Collaborative Knowledge Transfer for their work on the Cutty Sark.
- A paper co-authored by Centre staff receives the top paper award at the ATS (Association Technique Siderurgiques) international conference in Paris, Dec. 2007
- Instrumentation developed during EPRSC-Industry funded QPM™ initiative in process of approval by ASTM - American Society of Testing Materials.
- Centre's work cited in the Royal Academy of Engineering consultation document to the UK government as an example of best practice for university/industry collaboration.
- Centre is European IST prize winner, awarded by European Council of Applied Sciences, Technology and Engineering (Euro-CASE).
- Centre's work cited in HM Treasury sponsored 'Lambert Review of Business-University Collaboration' as an exemplar of good practice, and as a case study to support the justification for the creation of a new stream of Government funding to support business-facing research in universities.
- Centre wins Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education.
- Centre wins Communications & IT in Shipping Award for Innovation in IT for Ship Operation and Safety.
- Centre wins RINA/Lloyds Register Award for Ship Safety.
- Centre wins British Computer Society Award for IT, and Gold Medal.
Click to View PDF with information about our previous RAE submissions:
RAE 08 (PDF - 18.5 MB)
RAE 01 (PDF - 124 KB)